I had this idea of making muffins that are made of vegetables, seeds, nuts and no sugar, which are of course gluten free and could also be vegan. They would be healthy enough to eat for breakfast and for snacks, but also so tasty that kids and adults alike would find them really healthy. Enter – Breakfast carrot, chia and pumpkin seed muffins. These are the first in a series of muffins that do just this.
My first batch are with egg, as they doubled up as a Ada’s dose of cake she has to have 3 times a week. They are full of omega’s and proteins from the nuts and seeds, and a a good amount carrots in there too.
The kids loved them and of course saw them a bit of a treat for breakfast, and they were also very welcome after a long tennis session in the cold.
The result was actually a sublimely perfect balance between savoury and naturally sweet. It was super light and fluffy, with a crunch from the little chia seeds. I added a few raisins too which the girls really liked, adding to the natural sweetness.
I’d love to hear how you went with making these muffins and also if you changed any of the ingredients, and what you combination you really liked.
Breakfast carrot, chia and pumpkin seed muffin
- 150g carrot, grated
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 lemon zest
- 3 Tbsp chia seeds
- 50g coconut sugar
- 75ml olive oil
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 eggs
- 50g ground almonds
- 70g self raising gluten free flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 20g raisins
- 15g pumpkin seeds
- Step 1 Preheat the oven to 175°C
- Step 2 In a large bowl, mix the grated carrot, cinnamon, lemon zest, chia seeds, coconut sugar, 1/4 tsp salt, oil and eggs, until combined.
- Step 3 Set aside for 5 minutes, or until the chia seeds have expanded a little.
- Step 4 Meanwhile, sift the flour, baking powder and bicarbonate of soda into a separate bowl. Add the ground almonds and mix together.
- Step 5 Stir the carrot mixture into the dry ingredients to form a batter.
- Step 6 Stir in the raisins and pumpkin seeds.
- Step 7 Bake for 15-18 minutes, or until risen and springy to the touch.
- Step 8 Remove from the oven and leave to sit for 5 minutes, before arranging the muffins on a wire rack to cool completely.