Similar to the Quesadillas, but with a yummy chicken fajitas in the middle of corn tortillas, these are another one of our favourite dishes. The kids love them because they have little dishes of mashed avocado, chopped up tomato and cucumber, sour cream, grated cheese, chicken fajita, sometimes refried beans and they can choose what they put in the tortillas and how. It often ends up quite messy, but it’s good fun. You may also be surprised how much of the healthy stuff the kids choose, when it is so much fun!
This is one of my own recipes, which I have to say is an incredibly simple version of normal fajitas. It’s a quick, no fuss, kids will eat sort of dish. We use the corn tortillas from Cool Chilli, which we love and then if any are left over then the next day we’ll make Quesadillas. You can buy the corn tortillas from their stall in Borough market, their online store and now they are also selling them in many London wide deli’s .
- 1 tbsp mild olive oil
- 2 chicken breasts sliced across in long chunks
- 1 small onion or shallot chopped finely
- 2 cloves garlic crushed
- 1 red pepper chopped
- 2 teaspoon mild smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon of passata
- A packet of cool chili corn tortillas
- Step 1 At least a few hours before you cook, add the chicken, peppers and the spices in a bowl with the oil and leave to marinate in the fridge. (if you forget this, don’t worry, you can still cook from scratch).
- Step 2 Gently heat the olive oil and add in the onions until just turning clear.
- Step 3 Add the garlic stir quickly through before adding the marinated chicken & pepper. (if you haven’t marinaded it then just add the chicken, pepper and spices together to the pan at this point).
- Step 4 Keep stirring until the chicken is browned all over then add the passata.
- Step 5 Simmer and occasionally stirring until cooked. If it dries out then add some more passata.
- Step 6 Whilst it is simmering, you can start cooking the corn tortillas.
- Step 7 Depending on the size of your frying pan, add 1 or 2 at a time to a medium heat. It takes about 10 – 20 secs to heat each side – just keep an eye on them. You do not want them crispy.
- Step 8 One each one is ready, keep it warm tucked into a tortillas warmer or in a tea towel.
- Step 9 You should have the rest of the cold dishes made already, so you are ready to wrap and eat!
- Step 10 Enjoy!
Why don’t you grab your ingredients for the chicken fajitas now: