A few people asked me for some easter recipes. These chocolate easter nests are a lovely classic but turned a little bit healthier, though I can never claim that anything with lots of honey, cornflakes and topped with mini eggs is actually healthy!! But it does contain hemp seeds, chia seeds and there is no sugar or golden syrup like the traditional sweet nests, so there is an added nutritious bonus to these.
Confectionery and chocolate is a tricky one with when it comes to what is safe for people with coeliac disease. Not that we eat many sweets, but we all like a chocolate treat sometimes. Fortunately, my kids understand how unhealthy sugar is, so they’re quite happy having alternatives most the time. However when they do want sometimes really want a treat, or we are at a party and the parents ask what they are allowed, it is always very tricky to know what is safe. Many chocolates have either some gluten ingredients or are manufactured in places that contain a lot of gluten. Fortunately Coeliac UK print out a Easter List for all the safe current chocolate eggs for that year. It is so handy, and we rely on this year after year. Mini Eggs are a safe one in case you were wondering!!
I made these Easter nests last night. They were a surprise to my children after one of them had a day at the allergy clinic, which is always very tiring and daunting. They went down a storm.
A little tip for when you make them – they can be harden up quite quickly if it gets too cold. You will need to heat the mixture up very slightly to loosen the mix up to make sure everything gets coated with chocolate.
Most of all enjoy! Happy Easter!! Don’t forget to subscribe and let me know in the comments how your adventures in the kitchen went this Easter.
Almost healthy chocolate easter nests
- 2 Tbsp. virgin coconut oil, plus a little more for greasing
- 150g unsalted nut or seed butter of your choice
- 120g honey or maple syrup if you are vegan
- 1 tsp vanilla
- half a teaspoon salt
- 30g raw cacao
- 100g cornflakes
- 60g desiccated coconut
- 3 tablespoons hulled hemp seeds
- 3 tablespoons chia seed
- a bag of mini eggs
- Step 1 Gently heat the coconut oil until liquid.
- Step 2 Combine the peanut butter, honey and salt in the saucepan and heat until combined.
- Step 3 Add the vanilla, cacao powder and chia seeds. Stir until well combined – heat slightly more if too stiff.
- Step 4 Add the cornflakes, desiccated coconut and hemp seeds and mix well.
- Step 5 Drop portions of mixture onto your prepared baking sheet.
- Step 6 Press into the shape of nests.
- Step 7 Let cool in the refrigerator or freezer until hardened.
- Step 8 Top with your favorite chocolate eggs.
- Step 9 Serve cool or at room temperature.
- Step 10 Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days