I use this chocolate ganache icing for cupcakes and the Vanilla & Almond cake. It’s taken from the Vegan8, but I have omitted the almond spread as I found it tasted too nutty deviating from the light texture and taste of some of the cakes. I also whip it up quickly as a healthy-ish topping for ice cream or banana split when the kids have friends round.
It’s quick and easy to pull together. You can omit the tapioca starch if you don’t have any, but it does give it a nice smooth
and slightly thicker texture.
Chocolate Ganache Icing
- 1/2 cup + 2 tablespoons coconut palm sugar
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 tablespoons tapioca starch (tapioca really works best as it completely dissolves in the glaze)
- 1/16th teaspoon fine sea salt
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened almond milk
- 1/4 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Step 1 Add the first 4 ingredients to a large bowl and stir.
- Step 2 Add the last 2 ingredients to a small bowl or cup and stir.
- Step 3 Add the wet to the dry and beat with a hand mixer, starting on low and then increasing to high, until it’s very smooth and there are no lumps remaining from the cocoa or sugar, a couple of minutes.
- Step 4 You can use it right away if needed, but I recommend making it the day before you need it. It will become slightly sweeter, thicker and the sugar dissolves perfectly overnight. Store it at room temperature.
- Step 5 If you store it in the fridge, it will become a lot thicker.
Buy your ingredients here:
N.B these are affiliate links to products that I use, recommend and are gluten free. I will earn a very small amount if you buy through these, which in turn helps me with a very small part of the running costs of the blog.