These raw chocolate and cherry brownies are a real treat, they are so decadent and actually you only need a tiny slice to feel satisfied of any chocolate or sweet craving. There is something about the sourness of the cherries that really makes these brownies, and sets it off against the sweetness. They are actually very sweet indeed but without the sugar. I actually cut these up into tiny little bites, which works well. Then there is more to go around and they last for a few more days rather than just one.
The choice of chocolate topping is up to your taste. 85% dark chocolate can be a bit too bitter for the kids. 70% is better, but it does depends on your taste and how much sugar you mind having.
Decadent raw chocolate and cherry brownie (gf, v, vg)
- BROWNIE BASE:
- 100g dates, stones removed
- 50g dried black cherries
- 50g whole blanched almonds
- 50g coconut oil
- 1 1/2 tbsp maple syrup
- 50g dairy and gluten-free cocoa powder
- 50g 70% dark chocolate, chopped
- 1 tbsp coconut cream
- 5g pistachios, chopped or
- 2g freeze dried raspberry
- Step 1 Put all the ingredients for the brownie base into a food processor and blitz until well mixed.
- Step 2 Spoon the mixture into an 18cm (7in) square cake tin.
- Step 3 Put the tin into the freezer for around 15 minutes, to firm up the brownie mix. Meanwhile, melt together the dark chocolate and coconut cream in a bowl set over a pan of barely simmering water.
- Step 4 Once the chocolate mix has melted, smooth it over the top of the brownies, sprinkle with the pistachios or raspberries and allow to set in the fridge for 5 minutes.
- Step 5 Cut into squares and serve, or store in the fridge for up to a week.