This is another of our go to Bolognese sauce. We pack it full of vegetables and bone broth too. We have this usually at least once a week, and use it on Spaghetti Bolognese, pasta bake or in a lasagna or in a shepherds pie.
As one of our family members now needs to keep on a low FODMAP’s diet, we omit any onions and use celery and garlic which make a tasty and healthier option. If you are in a hurry you can grate the carrots and courgette rather than chop them.
Bolognese sauce for pasta and chilli
- 1 Tbsp butter
- 1 stick of celery
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 2 carrots
- 1 courgette
- 100g mushrooms
- 500g minced meat
- 500ml bone broth or gf stock cube
- 1 tin tomatoes
- 1 Tbsp tomato puree
- 1 Tbsp oregano
- 3 bay leaves
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Step 1 Chop up the vegetables finely and slice the garlic.
- Step 2 Add the butter to a large heavy based pan on a medium heat
- Step 3 Add the celery and garlic and let sizzle whilst stirring.
- Step 4 Add the minced meat and stir until browned.
- Step 5 Add the rest of the vegetables and stir together with the tomato puree. .
- Step 6 Add the bone broth and tomatoes and stir together.
- Step 7 Add more liquid if it feels it is too thick. Let simmer for a good 20 mins.
- Step 8 Towards the end of cooking add the oregano and salt and pepper to taste.
- Step 9 Let the sauce sit for 10 mins or so to thicken up a bit and serve.