A perfect antidote to all the chocolate on Easter Sunday is this nutritious and fresh gluten free quinoa tabbouleh. It’s the perfect accompaniment to roast veg & halloumi, a tagine or even with nice baked fish or some roast chicken. I have taken this from a recipe from Epicurious.
Traditional tabbouleh comes with couscous, which is made from wheat, so this dish using quinoa works really well as a replacement. It is best to cook it using the instructions as otherwise it can become soggy rather than light and fluffy. I like to make double portions of this as it keeps well in the fridge for a few days – and actually the herbs infiltrate into the dish making it extra yummy. This then makes a really easy lunch or accompaniment of most dinners in the evening.
I’ll be posting a few more summer / spring vegetable salady dishes here over the next few weeks. I don’t know about you, but personally I’ve had enough of the cold and rain and can’t wait to be outside more in the sunshine and eating colder and lighter vegetable based dishes. Bring on Spring….!!
- 1 cup quinoa, rinsed well
- 1 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 large cucumber cut into 1cm pieces
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes, halved
- A handful chopped flat-leaf parsley
- A handful chopped fresh mint
- Step 1 Soak the quinoa for 10 mins, and rinse well (this helps take the bitterness out of it)
- Step 2 Put it in a pan with the water and the salt. Bring to the boil. Then lower the heat and let simmer for 10 mins
- Step 3 Remove from heat and let stand, covered, for 5 minutes. Fluff with a fork.
- Step 4 whisk lemon juice and garlic in a small bowl. Gradually whisk in olive oil. Season dressing to taste with salt and pepper.
- Step 5 Spread out quinoa on a large rimmed baking sheet
- Step 6 let cool.
- Step 7 once cool, pour it into a large salad bowl with the dressing, cucumber and tomato.
- Step 8 Combine well. Mix in the parsley and mint.
- Step 9 Serve.