This recipe is taken from the Vegan8 blogger and is actually one of my favourite gluten free and vegan cake recipes of all time. So much so that I haven’t changed a thing from this recipe. It is soft, light, fluffy and has a lovely texture. You’d never know if was vegan or gluten free. I’m sure one of the reasons for it’s success is that it uses aquafaba as it’s main ingredients. Aquafaba is an revolutionary egg replacer that uses the soak water from chickpeas. You can whisk it up into a meringue like substance and use it in began cooking. It is simply amazing. You can see how we’ve made meringues in this post. It’s cheap, it’s easy and it’s really accessible.
This cake makes a perfect light summer tea or even a birthday cake. You can use a variety of toppings, we used my own version of the chocolate ganache topping.
Fluffy Vanilla & Almond Cake
- 2 cups (224g) ground almonds
- 1/2 cup + 2 tablespoons (100g) potato starch
- 1/2 teaspoon (3g) fine sea salt
- 2 teaspoons gf baking powder (9.6 g)
- 1/2 cup + 2 (200g) tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 1/2 cup (120g) applesauce
- 1/2 teaspoon (2g) apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon (15g) real vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup (60g) aquafaba (the liquid at the bottom of a chickpea can)
- Step 1 Line a 9 inch round metal pan with a piece of round parchment paper on the bottom and along the sides.
- Step 2 Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. OR you can make cupcakes and line a pan with 10 liners.
- Step 3 Make sure to weigh all your ingredients for accurate results.
- Step 4 Fluff your ground almonds with a whisk first to break up any lumps.
- Step 5 Add the ground almonds, potato starch, salt and baking powder to a large bowl and whisk everything together really well until there are no lumps remaining.
- Step 6 In a separate small bowl, add the syrup, applesauce, apple cider vinegar, vanilla and aquafaba and whisk until smooth.
- Step 7 Pour the liquid over the dry ingredients and beat with a handheld mixer for about a minute to incorporate some air and make it really smooth. It should be a very smooth, pour-able batter.
- Step 8 Pour the batter into your prepared pan and bake on the middle rack for 25-30 minutes, until it has risen with a light golden top, a toothpick comes out completely clean from the center.
- Step 9 If making cupcakes, using an ice cream scoop makes for nice rounded tops.
- Step 10 Cupcakes should be done around 25 minutes, but check for a clean toothpick in the centre.
- Step 11 Let cool 30 minutes before removing from the pan. Then turn it over, so the flat side is facing up on a cooling rack.
- Step 12 Cool completely before icing, at least an hour.
Buy your ingredients for the Vanilla and Almond Cake here:
N.B these are affiliate links to products that I use, recommend and are gluten free. I will earn a very small amount if you buy through these, which in turn helps me with a very small part of the running costs of the blog.